Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

draft file BOM's

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhits

Military
Feb 3, 2005
US
I am using V20, and we have been having problems with our BOM's "unlinking" to the bubbles on the forms. I have tried to re-link them, but the asterisks will not go away. I want them turned on by the way. When I try to run a new BOM no bubbles will get placed on the drawing. When I put new ones in manually the asterisks will not go away. The only way I have found to fix the problem is to start a new draft. It will work, then, to a point, but for some reason the same error will happen, and we are not sure what "command" or procedure we are doing to have this happen over and over. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Redoing drafts over and over is not a good use of our time.

Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

when placing balloons manually make sure to set the options
on the 'Taskbar' to link to a parts list. After placing
them hit the 'Update All' button or RMB on the parts list
and select update.

dy

Yes that is an SOP for our drafting/design department. All bubbles are linked to the BOM. There are times when the auto balloon will place them in an awkward position or over another part so we need to either cut and paste or delete and manually place one. I have looked into it more, and it seems when I cut and paste the links are borken and the BOM will update to all asterisks in the item numbers. This has only happened since we installed V20, and only twince the assemblies are large, but I do not think that would be the reason.

Hi,

cut and paste? Hmm, select a balloon and then pick the handle
at the end of the arrow
- LMB and move it to a different place on the edge it's connected to
- ALT+LMB to move it to a different edge of the same part.

I've not seen that during one of the above action all items are flagged
with an asterisk (V20/SP2)

dy

I have not seen it myself until about 3 weeks ago. Like I said it has happened on 2 draft files only, I am afraid it might be an ongoing problem so I am trying to get a handle on it now. The only other thing I can think of is our custom formats, but this has just started to happen and we have used the same formats for 3 years. Thank you for your help. If you think of anything else let me know and if I discover the problem I will post any findings

Dumb question, have to contacted SE support? May be worth it.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Totally agree that a lot of the time you'll get more luck here but for more 'complex' issues, especially a fault with the SW, the actual help line will be able to spend more time investigating and sometimes come up with a useful answer.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Good morning, I got onto the UGS site and patch-3 fixed the problem. So anyone else out there that may encounter this, p-3 is the solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back