Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Draft or Loft extruded-cut in SW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFAB

Automotive
Jan 23, 2011
US
I did some searching for this but didn't come across much information, likely due to the fact that I really don't even know what to call this "process". I used SW version 2006. Hoping to step up to 2010 at some point in the near future but that's for other discussion.

I'm trying to perform an extrude-cut inside a solid body. Without over complicating the description I'm basically trying to perform a cut from one end face of a perfectly round revolving cut, up to a square sketch.

Essentially it's like a regular draft between a round and square sketch on two separate planes, but instead of an extrude I need it to be a cut.

Am I missing something completely obvious here, or is this a feature that is not possible with my variant of the software(new feature on 2010?) I've been working with SW for many years now, but this is the first time I've needed to perform such a cut in an existing solid body.

Any help of tips would be great! Thanks folks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, that is exactly what I'm trying to do, but I don't quite know how to achieve it. You say loft-cut, but I do not see this anywhere under the toolbar?

Ah crap, I'm a complete A$$ here. I just looked up under the list under tools and found it. I feel pretty stupid now.

Yes, the icon panel is not complete unless you make it so. There are more commands under the menu drop downs.
"a point I missed, too"

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2010 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

It's just funny because I've been using Solidworks for many years now and have never opened up the "cut" tab under the insert drop menu, despite going into that drop file hundreds of times. Just shows how much you get into a routine with things that you fail to notice the rest of the program.

Info and help is much appreciated. I'd likely still be looking for it had I not asked here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back