Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Draft Tube Maintenance Platform - Vertical Hydro-Turbine

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterMan22

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2007
US
Is anyone aware of a procedure and/or design for installing maintenance platforms in the draft tubes of vertical hydro-turbines?

In one of our facilities we "float the boat". Which entails raising the water in the draft tube to just below the man-door and a maintenance person on a makeshift raft bolting the platform brackets to the wall. Obviously, not the ideal way to perform this work.

I am curious to know if there are any designs and/or procedures for installation that keep personnel safe during the process. Or what other utilities are using in their units.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello everybody:

I do not believe it. Have you asked to the turbine manufacturer the reason why, this important maintenance accessory is missing? Normally, this type of ancilliary equipment is included in the scope of supply.

I think that the turbine manufacturer is obliged to give a solution to this problem.

These turbines were installed in the early 1960's. The original contract specification didn't have any wording for a maintenance platform. Given their age there is need to perform inspections and repairs from below the runner.

I just want to know what procedures or guidelines other hydro-utilities use when working from a platform in the draft tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back