Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drafting a face with fillet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkmech

Mechanical
Nov 12, 2004
CA
I am trying to draft the faces of a cubic box whose edges are filleted. But SW won't let me do it. Is there a way around it? I can't delete fillet to draft, as a lot of other features were built on those fillets.

Thanks to all the readers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's hard to suggest a way around the problem without seeing the part & its feature tree.

Possibly do a roll-back to before the fillets & then try to apply the draft.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Or you could try adding the fillets to the base sketch and extruding with a draft. That's always worked for me.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I have a super tight deadline on this thing and I have been really stuck for the last 2 days!!! I must follow things in this order:

- Create base sketch
- Create fillet
- Create additional features (sweep around a 3D sketch that contains the fillets created above)
- Create draft (SW doesn't create draft AFTER I have added fillets above)
- Finally shell (I have problems with this step too because the sweep didn't work properly which is another issue)

I am not sure where to start fixing things...

Sorry that I don't have any good news for you. However, you have just learned some very important lessons:

[ol][li]Draft first, then fillet.[/li]
[li]Building features dependent on fillets is a good thing to avoid.[/li][/ol]

Then you will probably have to "cheat" & use some fancy 'extrude-cuts' instead of 'draft'.

[cheers]

Good point tick, don't draft and fillet untill you must. If it was that important as a parent for features, you should have followed MadMango's advice to put it in the sketch.

Can you create draft if your reverse direction. fillets propogate tangencies that wont extend beyond the radius of the fillet, which is what you are trying to do by applying draft..

Your sweep....On 06, then try making your sweep profile a surface, patterning that surface along your curve using tangent to curve and a face normal and then creating a loft with the faces.

Well thought out design approaches create good designs. Its like chess, you gotta think many moves ahead when your making a move.

Garbage in = Garbage out

Fillets should always be last in the tree when possible. I apply draft around the feature it's applied to.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2005 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2006 SP1.0 on WinXP SP2

Maybe you ought to change your technique. It never worked for me, but I used to have a real pretty co-worker who cried on 2 occasions that I know of to buy herself some time. It really helps if you have long-blond hair. [gorgeous]

Flores
SW06 SP1.0

Flores,

I think I went to Engineering school with your coworker. It wasn't deliverables though, mostly days where heat tranfer and composite tests where handed back.

mkmechPost an image, or even the file if you can, so that those who are interested can "play" to see what, if anything, can be done.

[cheers]

You can model in corners and then add draft, if this is possible. Since the new corners will be children of the fillets no relationships will be distroyed, then add your draft and re-fillet.

Hi,

May be... this will solve your problem.
Use Insert- face- Delete and select the fillet face.
but You have to select only one fillet face eachtime.
if you select multiple fillet faces, it doesn't work.

now draft the faces and finally give the corresponding deleted fillets once again.

Thanks

Murugan.S
Design Engineer,
CADCAM-E, India.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back