Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drafting Balloons

Status
Not open for further replies.

baazar

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2009
US
I'm a green engineer and am recreating some professionally done drawings (from ProE) in Solidworks and have encountered an issue. From what I can tell, Solidworks has no trapezoid balloon feature, just circle, triangle etc. This company that originally did the drawing used a trapezoid balloon. My questions are the following in order of importance:

1. Where can I find out what the different balloon shapes mean? (ANSI/MIL standard etc.)

2. What does the trapezoid flag indicate? (as opposed to square, triangle etc.)

3. Is there a way to make custom Solidworks balloons?

TIA - Bram

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I figured with the lack of response that it might not be the best post, but I figured it has more to do with MIL-STD-100 or possibly ANSI Y14.5M-1994 (or something equivalent), neither of which do I posses.

1. This question might be better for forum1103. However, as I recall there isn't a whole lot of info about balloons in the ASME Y14.100 series docs. ASME Y14.5-35M-1997 talks about use of balloons for revision symbols and only mentions round balloons thread1103-273831. 14.100 4.26.6 f gives some examples of Flagnote symbols including rectangle, hex & triangle but doesn't say much - if they were flagnotes then there should be the same symbol around the number in the main notes block.

2. Most likely it's defined by a company spec, or at least general practice from whoever originally did the drawings. Except as mentioned above for rev symbols I don't think the ASME stds generally spec what shape balloon is used for what - as long as each different purpose is different.

3. This question might be better asked in forum559

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

lumenharold, while part 3 of the post is probably best in the forum you mention, I'm not sure about the other parts of the question.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back