Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drafting Copiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawoh

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2002
CA
I do not know where else to put this one.

Our twenty year old blueprint (whiteprint?) machine is no longer working. We are looking for a replacement. We want a resource for sending out full sized copies from signed originals. The signed originals are reliable copies of what we have in CAD. If a vendor asks me for a DXF file or SolidWorks model, I will send him one.

I still like blueprint machines, since they are cheap, and they allow you to control what originals are used to make copies. I do not mind the smell of ammonia that much, although I am sure my co-workers disagree with me on this. Blueprinters are still available, but it sounds like they are less and less popular.

Does anybody have a gut feel about blueprint technology and its likely survival over the next couple of years? Any strong opinions about Xerox and other copying technologies, or use of paper copies in general?

Thanks.

JHG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I didn't know anyone was still making blueprints.
I suggest going with a printer/copier that can print full size and on vellum. Canon or Oce maybe.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP1.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

Depending on volume, proximity, and how you feel about taking originals off- site, you might consider doing the prints at Kinko's, and let them worry about the machinery.

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

I have actually used ammonia process blue line print machines in my early days as a drafter. They are smelly and loud. My take is that this technology will be around for a while because of certain engineering niches that are resistant to modernization. The alternative to your dependency on ammonia process equipment is to print each CAD file to .pdf format. These .pdf images could then be stored in a virtual vault (folder on a networked fileserver), whereby they would be the "master copies". Any individual needing a paper copy could simply print one of these to a large-format laser printer. Another nice thing about .pdf images is that they are usable by non-CAD people and do not require any special software to view and print.

Here's a link:
Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Be blessed as you follow Jesus Christ!

Many Technical Supply out fits will make your prints for you at a nominal fee of course.
When I was with a LAnd Surveyor we purchased a full size sheet copier.
It will print multiple copies of multiple sizes. It all depends on the needs required.
I for one perfer it simply because we charged for additional copies much like Kinko's and we can also depreciate it over time.

What's the resistance to large format printers/plotters? If you sign your originals, where's the difference?

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Honestly, who uses a blueprint machine anymore? I believe I have seen one or two blueprints from customers in the past few years. We usually laugh and wonder what sort of cave man sent them to us.

Like the "ditto" machines that were used before photocopiers. Once photocopiers were widely available, there was no need for the ditto machines (I hope I have the name right, they were before my time). Same is true with blueprinters.

When you can get a large sheet photocopier, why use a blueprint machine? Besides will it really impress your customer to send them some crappy looking blue drawing, when others are sending out clean colour plots..?

Put the blueprinter where it belongs, in a museum. Will make your life easier, you will produce a better product and have better health without the ammonia.

Regards,
Ross Evans

I wouldn't put it in a museum, the ammonia will ruin the paintings[tongue]
I think when the next generation retires, blueprint machines will go with them.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP2.0 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site
FAQ371-376
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-1091
FAQ559-716

Would you like our old blue print machine and six drawing cabinets, really cheap almost free as they say in Mexico.
Actually, I'm not after much and there is not a huge market for it. We went digital a year ago and no longer use it.
Logistics is probably more than the equipment.

Kevin
Let me put in a non spamable number
i-8oo-46i-8822x3252

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back