Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drafting History 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an interesting look back on how they did things different and the same as we do today. This survey from 1918 shows answers to questions about drafting from various sources.

Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.flyupload.com/?fid=736837[/URL]

==========================================
Business Page ------------------------------------------
Motorradtraum....

Amen, KENAT. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare. - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Thanks, feels good to get a rant on occasionally (helps relieve that blood pressure issue you mentioned elsewhere ewh ;-))

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Obviously not as impressive as it was done on CAD but on the lines of drawings with extensive, perhaps excessive detail..

I'm doing some data transfer for a new product and just saw a drawing for a cable from one of the engineers.

He's created a sectioned assy model, showing the individual strands of the coax type shielding. The view in the drawing is then beautifully shaded etc! This when half our cables are just 2D representations with a cube (representing connectors) on each end of a straight 'cable' with all the detail in the parts list & pin table.

Don't get me wrong, this is a fairly important cable but the equivalent cables on other products have no where near this detail. Not sure how well it'll come through but heres a partially obscured jpeg of it to give some idea.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2cabb9df-40e0-4ff8-bad6-5efcbf88021c&file=fancy-cable-drawing.JPG
Kenat ranted: "Sure you don't know how to use descriptive geometry..."

Well, no, but it can sure help. I can lay out a complex pipe joint and get the ellipse dimensions, or a paper pattern for the shop, more quickly using descriptive geometry and 2D cad than firing up the pathetically slow seat of Inventor I have...

And a freshie the boss hired for the "other side" of my company was having fits the other day, trying to get a view that would show a particular detail (aka auxilliary projection). I had to show him how he could define the rotation plane for the view...using 2D sketch techniques...he thought I was some kinda wizard.

Style. Nice word. Clean, well-laid out drawings are a good goal, and I try to aspire to them. It helps to do so, if you are a self-checking engineer like most of us have to be these days. Keeping the print readable helps you when you are double-checking to see if you missed any dimensions, datum descriptors, tolerances... Someday, when I'm done here, I may have to post a print that another engineer developed and I inherited. Dimensions in alternating font sizes, overlapping in places, leaders and dimensions lines pointing to ambiguous areas of the part, no detail views, all crammed into a single A-size sheet. The part caused our shop trouble for years, until I managed to spot the tolerance stack that made it operate improperly in some combinations...but that didn't happen until I redrew the whole thing.

Youngstructural
Here are a couple of views from the 1905 Steam Crane drawing. As you can see after over a hundred years its a bit faded, dirty and generally suffered. However some of the brown tint is from my scanner. I have scanned it at fairly low resolution which doesn't do it justice but enjoy.
I was given the drawing, I guess, in the early 1980's by the Managing Director of a foundry. The foundry was closing down (as many did in the UK at that time due to more stringent Health & Safety regs. They had found a whole pile of such drawings dating from when that company apparently made cranes. The Director took the drawings to the local museum who picked out a few and told him to burn the rest. It thought it a shame so he handed a few round to his acquaintances and customers. I he used to visit my local pub on a regular basis I had got to know him and so I got one of the drawings.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e7c3ea2e-28e1-4472-996e-97ef666aebe2&file=File0002.jpg
Looking at drawings like those makes me actually miss board work.

Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare. - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Can anyone repost the document through a service that doesn't have a ton of popups?

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back