Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drafting NX7.5 Image (company logo) within pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG541

Automotive
Jan 26, 2008
Hi,

I have no problems retrieving my patterns and putting them in drawings, however, i recently added our company logo to our prints within the title block. i can save the prt file/pattern just find within UGII/templates and retrievein my dwg file, however, it does not bring the jpg within the pattern file into my dwg.prt file under format>patterns>retrieve pattern.

in my pattern file under file>save options i've got compress part on save, save dwg cgm data, save 3D annotations and pattern data only selected. are there any other settings i should have check?

how do i get the image within my drawing pattern (A1, A2, A3 etc) to populate my sheet like the border, text and title block does?

thanks,

patrick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go the Drawing Template route (even if you're still using the all but obsolete 'patterns' for the drawing border itself) where you create a part file containing your drawing border, title blocks, logos, etc. Then create your drawings with this PART file.

This is the route that I've gone, where I added the 'Siemens' logo as a jpeg image, placeing it on the face of my Drawing template after I had created my Drawing border and titleblocks, as shown below:

DrawingBorderexample.jpg

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi John

So you are basically saying instead of using patterns i should just open my part file directly that contains my pattern and use that? if i go that route everything is live and one could change or alter the drawing template other than the fields which are open for text.
so there is no way to save the image in my part file so when i do want to bring in a pattern it comes along?
what happens if you realize your sheet size is wrong midway and you need to go up or down, you would have to redo all wouldn't you rather than just changing the sheet and selecting a new pattern?

thanks,

patrick

At a previous employer we would import the border to our drawing file. When you import there is an option to group the imported objects. If we needed to change sheet size, we would edit the sheet size, delete the border group and import the new size. No drawing views would be affected by the process.

hmm..what do you mean import the border, through the method explained above via File>import>part or using the format>pattern option within drafting?

Starting with NX 8.0 we are supplying a set of functions (as part of the NX Drafting module) which which will help you design and implement intelligent Drawing borders and titleblocks as well as giving you tools to convert them into full fledged Drawing Temaplates. The image I posted earlier is of a Drawing template which I created in NX 8.0 using these new tools. Now that we have provided something which has been specifically designed to address the needs of customers creating their own custom designed Drawing Templates, complete with tools for creating the Drawing artwork (borders and titleblocks) we hope to wean people off the use of 'Patterns'. BTW, 'patterns' were NEVER designed to be used for drawing borders and we had hoped to have obsoleted them long before now (don't worry, they're not going away, just that we can now hide them so that new users will not be tempted to misuse them and who knows, maybe after a few more releases...)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back