Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drafting: Snapping to part entities while skecthing in view 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdlock

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2010
US
Using NX 9.0.2 Drafting, I need to know how to snap to part entities (i.e. end points) while skecthing in a view based on a 3D part. I know how to do this with pre-NX 8.5 views (steps shown below), but the Extracted Edges representation no longer appears in Settings for Drafting views created in NX 9.

Is this no longer possible in NX 9?

Snapping to part entities with pre-NX 8.5 views (now obsolete):
snap1.png

snap2.png

snap3.png

snap4.png

Thanks,
Scott

Scott B. Caley
TE Connectivity

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, I updated the view and confirmed that snaps are turned on.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott B. Caley
TE Connectivity
NX 9.0.2

If you're working in a 'Master Model' Drawing, while in the sketcher, make sure that the 'Selection Scope' is set to 'Entire Assembly'. If it's NOT a 'Master Model' Drawing, that at least set the 'Selection Scope' to 'Within Work Part Only'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Or 'Exact'. In fact, for individual part files, it's probably best to just use 'Exact' for all your Drawing views and reserve the 'Smart Lightweight' for truly complex models and Assemblies.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

John, Cowski,

Based on your responses I learned something... snapping to parts in Master Model Views seems to only be an issue in Detail Views. No problem with primary, auxillary, and secton views.

The problem has now been boiled down to this... There is no MB3 menu option to make a Detail View the Active Sketch View in NX 9 (and 10). Without this option I cannot see any means to sketch in a Detail View and snap to part entities.

Any further thoughts would be welcome.

Many thaks,
Scott

Scott B. Caley
TE Connectivity
NX 9.0.2

The reasons is that since a 'Detailed' view is technically a 'child' of another view, the default is to now create them as being 'Associative' to their 'parent' view, meaning ANY changes to that original view, whether it was the result of a model change OR something strictly related to the Drawing itself, with the exception of dimensions and other anotation, that these changes will be reflected in the Detail view as well. In that past, only model changes were inherited. Now if you're going to start modifying what you see in a Detail view, you need to make it 'Independent' since you can't have it both ways, Associative yet different.

As an example of what I mean, go ahead and created a 'Detail' view and leave it linked to the 'parent' view. In other words, DON'T make it 'Independent'. Now go and make the parent view the 'Active Sketch View' and create some curves that at least partially fall within the Detail area. After finishing the Sketch, update the views and those sketch curve(s) will also now appear in the Detailed view. If it had not been created as an Associative 'child' view the sketch curve(s) would not be seen in the Detail view.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

John, Cowski,

You guys provided the exact answers I needed! Cowski, the Convert to Independent Detail sure opens up the view to allow snapping during sketching (while breaking the view for automatic updates). John, your explanation of the parent/child relationships of the views completely explains the logic of why NX cannot allow the Detail View to be edited. I tried what you said about editing the parent view as a means to show the sketch in the Detail View, and that worked great!

Many thanks,
Scott

Scott B. Caley
TE Connectivity
NX 9.0.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back