Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drafting symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergengr

Industrial
Mar 29, 2006
US
I have a drawing that has a triangle with an "S" inside of it located to the left of a parallel datum callout. Can someone define this for me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Triangles are 'usually' used for revisions. Could the revision be that high for your drawing?

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Well, if it is a revision, there should be a revision history block somewhere on the print. And then we all laugh "Rev S?!?! Rookie."

In the automotive industry, a triangle would mean a "signifcant characteristic" but it does depend upon the Customer.

In GD & T using the older standard, it does mean "regardless of feature size" but I don't think that it applies here.

Looks like a Customer phone call is coming up.

Good luck!

DD

The SW symbol for "regardless of feature size" is an 'S' in a circle ... if I remember correctly.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Maybe the drafts'person' (you can never be sure these days), mistook the number 5 for the letter S....

In that case, the revision would be the 5th one.

I see it quite often in other things, but never before in a revision triangle. That's pretty standard.

If the drafter knew about standards, he/she should know that "S" is not used as a rev, for that reason of mistaken as a 5.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 05
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Hello all,

I think is a special note regarding to this dimension or datum.

ASME Standars using it as a square whith a number inside & connecting whith a specific Note.

May be this is a variant way.

An example will be:

dimension = "(square with 1)" 6 -/+ 0.3

and at general notes section will be says:

1. This dimension applys before be bended (then this is now an "especific note")

Sorry for my english jeje

Saludos desde Mexico

XZWHHL,

If you have no company specific standards governing a non-ASME-Y14 symbol, then consider revising the symbol to current standards to clarify it's meaning....no todo lo que es escrito es ley.

Which part of Mexico....Puebla?

A guess here... could it be a statistical measurement?

I do believe it is some sort of critaeria to highlight key characteristics (kinda like KPCs and KCCs).

I am almost sure I saw some of these on drawings. I'll look at that

Cyril Guichard
Mechanical Engineer Consultant
France

LuisenP,
Is that a standard symbol or a "commonly used" one? Is it possible to provide a reference for those interested?

Tks

Jim Sykes, P.Eng, GDTP-S
Profile Services
CAD-Documentation-GD&T-Product Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back