Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Draftsight 2018 hatch trimming issue... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VYordan

Structural
Dec 28, 2009
PR
So, got tired of subscribing to Autocad LT every year, thus trying draftsight, the free version. So far everything seems to work as in AC except the trim command with hatches. I’ve asked in the Draftsight forum, gotten no answers, looked in the DS help section, not very informative and done google searches. The only entry that specifically deals with this issue is in this forum, which I tried, but does not work for me. Maybe I am not understanding it or it is applicable to previous releases.
If I have a square, for example,and I hatch it and later want to trim off part of that hatch there is no way I’vebeen able to do it as in Autocad, by just drawing the trim line to define the cutting edge and voila, there goes the hatch to be trimmed. So can this be really done in DS, or is there something more complicated that I am not aware? Help will be appreciated!Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey VYordan,

I don't use the hatch command very often, so this may not be the best or only way to do it, but I did find a way to trim the hatch. I've attached a simple dwg file showing how I managed it, but here are the highlights:

Create your hatch and draw your trim line.
Select the hatch and right click then select hatch edit or simply type hatch edit in the command prompt.
Specify a point outside of your trim line, but inside of the existing boundary and "enter" out of everything.

From my little bit of research it appears that for this to work the original boundaries of the hatch must still exist. This means that you need to wait to trim the boundary lines until after you trim the hatch.

Hope that helps

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=05b16c2e-5bc4-4b77-b928-4f89644cd2e9&file=HATCH_EDIT_TRIM.dwg
Thanks Eric:
Maybe I am missing something but is not working. I cannot specify that point outside of the trim line if you could be more specific I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back