Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Draftsight - Automatic Layer Control??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfleming

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2015
US
Is there a way to have certain commands, automatically put stuff on a certain layer?

For example, Dimensions, or Construction Lines? I would like to click the construction line tool, and have it automatically put it on a previously created "Construction" Layer. Or add dimensions and have them automatically go onto the "Dimensions" layer.

Thoughts? Lisp? Macro? I don't know how to do either.

This feature was available at past employer on AutoCAD, although I have no idea how the CAD administrator set it up.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's one macro....

^C^C^P-layer;t;DIMTEXT;m;DIMTEXT;c;14;DIMTEXT;;$M=$(if,$(getvar,tilemode),,vplayer;t;DIMTEXT;;;);;^Pdimlinear^M

We have a layer for text called DIMTEXT, just change that for what you call your layer. As far as I can remember, it works in DraftSight no probs.

It creates the layer just in case it's not already there, then makes it current so your dimension ends up on that layer.

I'm at work on AutoCAD at the moment, but at home I've set up DraftSight to do all the same things, so I can let you have numerous macros.

Research how to add it into DS, it's straight forward-ish, use the help files.

A macro is simply all that you would type at the command line, just all in one go that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back