Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Draftsight versus AutoCAD: Current version pros and cons, what's the difference? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjlasota

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2019
US
Figured this may be a better location for my question:

I searched through the boards and found some information that was kind of dated, but wondering what people's opinions are for the newer versions of both AutoCAD and Draftsight and how they compare? My company is making the step to purchase either Draftsight or AutoCAD. What are the pros and cons of both softwares? I don't want to pickup draftsight if it's like comparing Google Sketchup to Solidworks.

I should also note that we are using Dassault PDM. So not sure if Draftsight with PDM would be a benefit or a curse. Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you looked into Bricscad?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

I get eMails from Cadalyst and see that ACAD expert Lynn Allen is very pro Draftsight from Dassault and she says it reads and writes DWG files. She is very impressed with it.

My company has had ACAD for years and we have a few occasional users that pick it up once every few months. We used to have 4 server licenses for 15 people plus a couple of standalone copies of ACAD. Since Autodesk decided that "a perpetual license" was going to expire last November, we had to purchase 26 copies for each named user.

I believe both Bricscad and Draftsight still have a perpetual license where you can get annual maintenance.

As usual, it has more to do with WHAT you need to draw than HOW you want to draw it. If all you want are lines and letters, then either one will be fine. If you want to send the lines to a machine shop to automatically program their CNC, then you may put some constraints on compatibility. If you and your team are clever people who figure stuff out for themselves easily, then you may not have constraints on what you can learn or what you can do with either software. If you have colleagues who have excellent drawing talent independent of the CAD system you give them, then they will probably figure out the methods needed to get good results out of whatever CAD system they're given.

I have tried Briscad and Turbocad and of course have used ACAD my entire career. I can confidently say I have >10,000 hours of experience with ACAD and anybody who knows CAD knows what I mean. If I said the same about Briscad they would pause...

I originally learnt drafting using paper and pencil. I'm currently using Draftsight 2D and find it satisfactory for my purposes, and a lot cheaper than AutoCad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back