Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drag Force on Hollow Rectangular Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wouldn't've described your sketch as a "hollow rectangle", as it is closed with a web.

The question (as I understand it) is does it matter if the web is upstream or downstream face ?

I'd expect a very minor difference. It seems to me that the dominate effect is the web; having the sides ahead or behind the web would be a 2nd order effect.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

I would expect that shape to very closely follow the drag curves for a flat plate.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Incidentally, there doesn't seem to be an analytical (as opposed to simulation based) approach for calculating drag coefficients, if that's what the OP is after.

for the basics, I'd guess that 1.28 was a good place to start, plus a bit for the drag on the sides, minus a bit because it's a bit like a prism (but only a bit). Most of the drag will be pressure recovery so the 1.28 is appropriate.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Hoerner's "fluid dynamic drag" would be the first place one would look.

Without checking on hoerner, I would expect the drag be slightly lower than a flat plate flat. With the hollow on the aft side the drag will be lower than with it forward facing.

Be carful comparing this square 'open-box' to a flat plate.

Speculation...

As a practical matter I would expect some odd/unstable 'spill-over' and vorticity formations/shedding off the up-stream-facing 'box-edges'... which would make for hard-to-predict rumbling and vibration modes... and a tendency to have a pitch-over moment.

IF the 'box-edges' were facing opposite [down-stream] the cavity-edges might generate vorticity roll-up into the low pressure aft-facing cavity increasing relative Cd. This might be a more stable shape.

Of course, anything on a rigid mast mounting and of reasonably small size might survive in open-air flow... at relatively low angles of attack [from perpendicular flow].

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

I ran the 2d code microcfd

Bluntface_s9oeev.png

and

openface_eeb9rr.png

The second created more drag

Please note, this is exactly the second time I've run this software. So the answers may be rubbish

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Although the results of the two simulations seem logical to us, I thought the drag coefficient a bit higher than 1.6179 related to the first condition-value of 1.5409., So we have only a drag increase of (+) more 5%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back