Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drain Pan for Thermal heat Wheel Section Required or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadhath

Mechanical
May 22, 2016
KW
Can anyone clarify me whether the drain pan is required for the Thermal heat Wheel Section or not?
Because I referred several images of the various manufacturer. Noone has provided the Drain Pan @ bottom of the Heat Wheel Section.
Whereas they provided the Drain Pan for the Plate Heat Exchanger Section.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A drain pan is required if you are cooling humid outdoor air with conditioned exhaust air irrespective of whether it is a plate heat exchanger or thermal wheel.Just plot the conditions on a psychrometric chart to see the extent of dehumidification.

I've never seen an ERV (wheel or plate type with a drain pan and piping to drain. I know some small residential types have a drain....

If you have condensation (and no freezing) I assume you would soak up the fabric. A wheel ERV has hygroskopic coating, and a plate ERV has some "paper"type material. but i assume only when it is freezing you really have condensation, but then the material will just plug up. IOf you have that danger (i.e. using humidifier in winter) you either need to pre-heat air, or jog the wheel. dP sensors would detect a plugged wheel.

I would talk to manufacturers, i really have a hard time if you go to Semco, or an AHU manufacturer that they even give you the option to add a drain pan.

As I said, I've never seen one, never heard of it outside very small residential ERV. I'm in Wisconsin, if that climate information helps. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back