Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drainage pipes within foundations

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomitch47

Structural
Mar 16, 2021
IE
What are the consequences of having drainage pipes within a strip footing (pipe is parallel within the strip)?
Do pipes need to be wrapped (compressible filler) at all instances?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems like that would be a nightmare if there was any maintenance required. Also, what would the pipes be carrying? If it's something that would be detrimental to the RC should a leak occur it would also be nightmarish.

Parallel to it? Bad idea. Most of the strip footings I do are 2 to 3 feet wide. A pair of 45's to jog the line a few inches to the right or left and get it out of the concrete will be so much less expensive.

I also never let pipes go under or through footings perpendicular. I make them step the footing and pass the pipe through the foundation wall. Maintenance is easier and less opportunity for the pipe to leak and undermine the footing - even gravity drain lines.

Pretty silly idea if you can avoid it.

We have the same request from architects wanting their downpipes inside of concrete columns, and inside of RHS/SHS columns. Because apparantly not having to look at unsightly downpipe is totally worth setting your client up for serious maintenance and structural problems down the track...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back