Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

drained vs/ undrained strength 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan2

Geotechnical
Jun 21, 2006
IT
Dear Friends,
I have the following theoretical doubt and maybe I am doing a stupid question: let you suppose that by means of triaxial CU tests the effective shear strength parameters (c' & phi') of a saturated clay have been derived. Could I derive from the effective envelope the undrained strength (cu) for the examined stress condition? Is this undrained strength coincident with the available effective shear strength?
Please, let you notice that I am not referring to the values of c(CU) and phi(CU) that I could derive from the same CU test, but as I said to the cu (i.e. with phiu=0).
Thank you in advance for your comments..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to Wroth and Houlsby, Soil Mechanics-Property Characterization and Analysis Procedures, Proceedings 11th ICSMFE, 1985:
Undrained strength ratio in triaxial compression, su/sigmav0', can be calculated as follows:

su/sigmav0'=(M/2)*(R/r)^Lambda

M=6sin(phi)/(3-sin(phi))
R=overconsolidation ratio from isotropic compression
r=spacing ratio, average 2 for most soils
Lambda typically 0.8 (as in SHANSEP)

Going throught the math, this results in similar undrained strength ratios as the SHANSEP procedure, and the authors make the comment that this relationship is what led to the SHANSEP method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back