Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing a Polygon in CATIA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

catiauser05

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2004
DE
Hi, I would like to know how can I make a polygon (e.g a Pentagon or a triangle) in CATIA V5R13. Is there a option as it exists for Hexagon ?

CATIAuser05

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CATIAuser05,

I don't remember if there is a HExagon icon for sketcher but I haven't used Catia in awhile. I think Solid Works has one for the sketcher. I always just sketch a dashed construction circle and then create the polygon and add the angles and constraints needed to keep the end points on the circle. I'm sure one of the users who's used it more recently could give you a specific answer.

I know some other products allow you to save sketch entities and bring them into sketcher. Maybe you can do a copy paste operation.

Welcome to Eng-Tips Forum. I learned a lot from this site and hopefully you will too.

Michael

Michael,
There is a icon for making Hexagon directly in CATIA V5R13, but just hexagon, Solidworks has a option polygon where user can enter the number of sides and it generates a geometry based on user input, Its so flexible. I think the big brother (CATIA) should have it somewhere.
Catiauser05

Hi,

Draw a circle of the required radius in the sketcher.
Then use equidistant points command in sketcher to create 5 equal points in the circle
Then, draw the lines which form the polygon and constrain them.

There's no direct method to create a polygon

Regards,
Jay

A problem exists in creating equidistant points. What Catia does is calculates the distances the points should be away from each other, not an updatable thing. So if the size of the circle changes the points remain the same distance apart from each other and become warped polygons. Weird thing about Catia.

My advice would be to avoid the equidistant points constraints as it is innefficient and annoying you can create equal length dimensions with a formula or any other method. you can also use another construction circle inside your polygon and make it tangent to the lines of your polygon.

Equal Length constraints are a great thing Catia should of had that in V5R1.

Michael
[bugeyed]

IsoGreg,

Dig a little bit in the formula, I think you can link the ditance with the curve length. May be you need SPA license for that, but I think it will work.

I'll check that soon

INDOCTI DISCANT ET AMENT MEMINISSE PERITI

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

Hi there,

Just an idea to make a Pentagon on sketcher.

1. With Construction mode on, draw a circle of any length. 2. Next draw a straignt line through its centre (and
passing the circumference on both ends)
3. rotate the straight lines by an angle (360/5) about the
circle centre
4. With Standard mode on , using Profile Icon to draw the
Pentagon (using the intersection points between the
rotated lines and circle)
5. When you drag the circle (in step 1), the whole pentagon
will move accordingly.
6. Obviously, one single radius value governs the whole
thing.

Cheers. Kennis.

Status