Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drawing Approval

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipFuller

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2003
US
I approve drawings from Contractors/Vendors. I'm trying find out how drawings are being approved electronically and what does your approval block look like.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Electronic approval is dangerous because the dwg file can be changed after your stamp. If you are using a pdf file, then use the "Sign and Certify" option and disallow changes.

Thanks for the reply. First off I'm not stamping the drawings espeically if you're talking about a PE stamp.

What I'm looking for is what others are doing equipment approvals. Generally what we've done is checked as "approved" or "approved as noted" or "reject".

I use an EDMS, it automatically records the date, time and name of anyone who approves or edits any document, and automatically keeps a revision of any changes.

an EDMS is an Electronic Document Management System.
It's not part of AutoCAD, it's a separate software system in it's own right. However, the system I use is closely integrated with AutoCAD.
For example, I have all the attributes in my title blocks linked to the system along with a number of other attributes and blocks that I use on a regular basis. The EDMS automatically extracts the values from these attributes and stores them in the database. I can then search on these attributes and other values to find any drawings, or other documents. I also use it to control MS Office documents as I can extract data from these as well.
The EDMS automatically keeps a revision of any document that is changed and I can go back to them and compare documents to see what has changed and when.
Production also use it to view and plot drawings, thus ensuring they always have the latest revision level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back