Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing Arcs. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

boliver

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2003
US
How can I draw an arc? start,center,and lenght of arc. w/out cord lenght or degree.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can do start, end, radius. It would take a LISP routine to do start, end, length. If you can show the math, I can write the code for you.

Since you know the start, end and radius, in AutoCAD, type:
"ARC" [space or enter] then "S" [space or enter]
Now pick or put in the coordinates of the Start point and press space or enter.
Now type "E" [space or enter]
Now pick or put in the coordinates of the End point and press space or enter.
Now type "R" [space or enter]
Now type in the radius and press space or enter.

That should do it !!

<<How can I draw an arc? start,center,and lenght of arc. <<w/out cord lenght or degree

You cannot unless you can eyeball the arc length
with microscopic accuracy. Why make it so hard when
you can easily get the angle of the arc knowing the
radius & arc length. Sometimes, software problem comes
up due to whimsical attitude & plain ignorance.

&quot;Quick&quot; and dirty method....

1) Draw your arc using Start, End and Centre ensuring that you &quot;overshoot&quot; the arc length required.

2) Check the properties of the arc to determine the actual length drawn.

3) Draw a line from the end of the arc that is long enough to make the total combined length of the arc and line exactly double the required arc length.

4) Combine the arc and line in a Pline

5) Use the DIVIDE command to divide the Pline in 2.

6) Trim the arc off at the point created by the DIVIDE command.

Its not pretty, but it will work

Dave

This is a 2 part method, but it works... Start the ARC command > Pick start point > &quot;C&quot; enter > pick center > swing arc to an arbitrary angle. Next start the LENGTHEN command > &quot;T&quot; enter > enter arc length > pick near the end-point of the angle, not the start point.

P.S.
&quot;Sometimes, software problem comes up due to whimsical attitude & plain ignorance.&quot;
Estassoc, was that really necessary?

Flores

To find the degree of the arc:
2r*Pi= Circumfrence
Circumfrence/360=inches per degree
Length of required arc/inches per degree = degree of arc

So: Pick arc, then c or center, then pick center, then pick the start point or enter it as a relative cooridinate (@108,0), then enter A or angle to specify the angle, then enter the calculated angle (25.464791 deg).

I hope I made sense here.

Most draftsmen using Autocad avoid using arc command because we have incountered the same problems you mentioned. Instead of using arc, use circle command and trim off what you don't need. The circle command has a lot of options that arc doesn't have. It is quick and dirty but you don't have to compute degree of arc or try finding where the center of the arc is located in relationship to the drawing. Hope this helps - John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back