Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drawing description information does not show up in Solidworks created PDF files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff97070

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2013
US

In the custom properties I add the description and all the other items and they populate the title block correctly.

When I create PDF files of my drawings doing Save As under the File Menu and create a PDF file
and print it out the drawing description information does not show it's gone.

I have found when this happens and I open the drawing and do edit sheet format and double click on the description information "Bracket, Top" and click in the screen and do edit sheet format and create another PDF file it prints correctly, HOW STRANGE.

This is only happening to my A2 size format and none of the others. I have recreated and $PRPSHEET:{Description}over and over and saved it off but it will not print with the description showing.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does it print fine if you send it to a printer? What happens if you "print" to pdf (assuming you have full blown acrobat with the print spooler) instead of "save as" pdf? Try changing your print settings to black and white or full color to see if that makes a difference. Is it possible your text font is a different color on your A2 drawings vs the others? Just throwing out ideas, never have seen this myself. Definitely strange.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

Thanks for the quick replies.

All the drawing formats print correctly it's just the A2 size and I have copied the same items from other formats to make sure they are all the same but still not luck. I forgot to mention one thing if I add a sheet and it's also A2 the second page on all prints correctly.

We use Bluebeam and I have acrobat and I get the same results. I will look into the settings but the font, color all the text are the same in each format.

More Ideas are welcomed.

I agree with Shaggy that the "print to pdf" is the way to go. I used to see the chamfer dimensions get dropped off the drawing sometimes when I used the "save as pdf" function. Can't remember which version of SW that was in though.

We used to have that problem with 2008 & 2010. If we didn't make sure the model was rebuilt using the stoplight button or CTRL+Q, then some of our dimensions would be missing if we did a "Save As" pdf. However, just remembering to do that quick rebuild always took care of the problem. That stopped happening after we upgraded to 2012.

May be some helpful advice in a similar thread from 2008 on here:
Looks like some people have found success reloading the drawing, rebuilding the drawing, making sure there are no lightweight entities, printing to pdf instead of saving, making sure all of the font in your drawing are the same, or at the very least making sure that your pdf program recognizes the font you're using in solidworks. Again, all it took for us was to remember to rebuild, but maybe some of those other options could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back