Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing dimensions for hole callout: Add spacing parameter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CU001

Mechanical
Nov 7, 2012
US
Hi,

I have a pattern of holes. To reduce clutter, when I dimension, I want to add a hole spacing info. Is there a way to modify the hole spacing info here. I see that the spacing info has an associated variable like this: "RD3@Drawing View10" . Is there something that could be done?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oddly, I was asked about this only a couple of hours ago... Personally, I tend to dimension all holes in a pattern, but I draw the line when I get to patterns of maybe 8 or 10 instances. At this point, I would state something like:

'10 PITCHES @ 100.0 = 1000.0 NON-ACCUMULATIVE'

The way I currently achieve this is to dimension from first hole to last, then modify the dimension text. If there is a better way to do this, I'm very keen to know about it, as I might be inclined to use it more often!

Thanks. My query is probably non-standard, but what I intend to know is whether this can be done in SW2011? I want the hole spacing to be parametric. If I change a 1" spacing to 1.5" in the part, I would like that to be reflected in the drawing. Any ideas?

Thanks.

CU001,

I second CBL's suggestion.

The easy, standard's compliant solution to your problem is to apply your dimensions directly to your pattern. Your note should be a description of the hole, only.

There is a pitch circle option in SolidWorks, when you apply centre marks.

--
JHG

You can add dimension values to a note by clicking on the dimension value while editing the note. The text value will be parametric. There are a couple of ways to get the hole spacing dimension so that you can click on it. You can show it as a model item, or you can manually create a dimension. You will need to hide the dimension, or place it on a hidden layer once you are done with it. If you delete the dimension, the link will be broken.

Eric

EEnd: Thanks. Your solution is what I needed. However, the text alignment is not right. If the note says "Spacing XXX", the XXX part is not aligned right with the entire text box. It works though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back