Drawing Format 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwkmts

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2007
US
Hello,

I have created a format for my company. I have used some parameters such as &todays_date ect. Then I typed parameters such as &customer so that when a drawing is created it asks to input the customer. When I create a new drawing and use this format the title block is created with the standard parameters. It then asks me to input customer, and then I do. The problem is if I add a sheet it asks me again for the customer. Is there any config option that can make all the sheets the same only inputing the values once?? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Define the parameter in the model/assembly if possible. Then it will auto-populate and you won't have to type it at the drawing level. Then you can change it's value in the model and it will update in the drawing.

If you want to do this with a drawing that already exists, assign the parameters in the model. Then 'replace' the format. This time it will read the values from your model instead of prompting you to fill them in.

<tg>

It's best to define those parameters in Start Parts & Start Assemblies. Then like <tg> said they will auto populate the drawing parameters. I've found out this is the best way to do it.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he'

The format does not have a reference part or assembly at this satge BUT it will become the 'background' for a future drawing which will have parts and/or assemblies placed on it.

Look at the whole process.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

Additional info:
Occasionally we do a schematic or something that doesn't actually have a model view in it. In these instances, we create a bogus assembly with the paramaters, place a view, and then erase the view. The value of doing this is if you decide to replace the format in the future, the values are still auto populated.

<tg>

An alternative technique which gets around having no model, or if the model doesn't have the parameter:
Insert a table with a repeat region in the box in the format to contain the parameter (i.e. DESCRIPTION).
Enter the report symbol: mdl-param-value
Now add a filter to the repeat region:
&mdl.param.name==DESCRIPTION

This will force this cell to only show the DESCRIPTION and there will be no conflict if the model does not have DESCRIPTION parameter, or if you start the drawing without a model. It takes a bit more effort to set up, but it is a very robust method.

A follow up question to this regarding what JohnAndrews wrote, If you take the route of putting repeat regions in to show all of these parameters, how do you get it to show drawing parameters and not model or assembly? Been looking in the help and can't find what handles to use to show drawing parameters???

Thanks in advance
/Jocke

Put a :d after the parameter name will pull the parameter from the drawing instead of the model.
&description is from the part/assembly file
&description:d is from the drawing file.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

Oh, I am aware of that, but using drawing parameters in repeat region seems to be another ballgame, since I can't just enter a parameter name like &description there, I must chose like asm.mbr.description or something like that.

According to the Pro/E help files there is no handle to point it to a drawing, like dwg.description or something like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back