Drawing format

Status
Not open for further replies.

cancsco

Mechanical
Oct 5, 2003
US
Hi all,
Does anyone know how to include the path directory of the drawing file or part file in the drawing format table.
I mean just as we can include date and part file name in the format table.
Thanks for all the replies.
Cancsco

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I checked with the PTC site knowledge base and they do not show any system parameters that would display the path of the file.

The more I think about your question the more I realize that it probably does not make sense for the software to show the file path, since objects are retrieved from various locations including the current session.
Example: The path is displayed on the drawing format (not possible, but let us imagine it is...). The drawing is loaded from disk with no other objects in session at the time of retrieval. Now you erase the drawing leaving all objects in session. Now you retrieve the drawing again from disk, but this time the objects needed to create the drawing are in session. What would the drawing format display now? If it were possible to show the file path you might be asking how the hell you can get rid of that silly message on the drawing when the objects needed for the drawing are already in session.

Good luck.

Thankyou for your reply.
My problem is that I have tonnes of files of different versions of designs of the same product and I as you can imagine my computer is cluttered with all the versions.
SO when I have to give a drawing to the machine shop, everytime I have to check the dimensions and the tolerances.
Is there any way out of this quagmire, cos everytime it is taking atleast 20 mins for me to refer back to the model and the drawing.
Thanks for your reply
cancsco

Hi Cancsco,

Not to sound like a broken record, but I think you should be using Intralink to control your files, I was in your boat and sinking fast. We now use Intralink and I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Tofflemire

Intralink is the real solution but the work around is NEVER EVER DUPLICATE FILE NAMES. We used to have that problem because people would copy a whole directory full of models and drawings and start modifying stuff. The solution is to delete everything that is not modified in the new version and rename everything that is left. A little extra work up front but saves many headaches later on.

Perhaps a temporary solution would be to show the model version on the drawing.

Once you found what the newest version is, assuming you never used the backup command into an empty directory which restores the version number to 1.0, you should be able to spot older data without checking every item.

A file search using "last modified" should get you close to the latest versions.

procadman2
Proe Design & Admin
NASA Contractor

"You can't build a reputation on something you haven't done."
H Ford

What we do, before starting the modification is to make a save a copy of the part with a date. So you always modify the part with no date, the 2d drawing & the assembly are always good and we can easily find the older version (the ones with dates).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back