Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drawing Layer issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korichnevijgigant

Aerospace
Oct 7, 2009
US
I have a drawing that uses layers for different combined views to show the assembly and its internal parts

It works ok in Creo, occassionally when I switch pages the views will change layers and show or hide stuff I want to see, then the combined state has a + next to it showing its somehow been modified

The big problem is even if Creo shows all pages with the correct views, when I print the PDF all the layers are messed up

Does anyone know how to fix this? or experienced this issue?

THIS SIGNATURE IS INTENTIONALLY BLANK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless you make each view's layers independent of the drawing then they may be affected by layer changes to the drawing. I expect the changes to the combined state is from inadvertent changes.

If you are seeing something different on the PDF than on the screen then you need to contact PTC for technical support. It may be as simple as needing to Save Status on the layer changes.

3DDave said:
Unless you make each view's layers independent of the drawing then they may be affected by layer changes to the drawing.
They should be, all views are green (its been a while, should the views border be green or blue?)

3DDave said:
If you are seeing something different on the PDF than on the screen then you need to contact PTC for technical support. It may be as simple as needing to Save Status on the layer changes.
I think figured this one out, I had turned off automatic regen so I could move through the pages faster, I'm assuming that Proe is regening behind the scenes when it spits out the pdf

I used to use different simplified reps to show different parts, but since PTC broke being able to link multiple simp reps to a single recursive region it has left me without a good way to automatically balloon and show assemblies in different states

Right now I'm stuck with making all the combined states run off the same layer and just blanking components in the view that are hiding things...

My method was to use simplified reps and create assembly level component parameters for the item balloon numbers. As they are part of the assembly, they work for all the simplified reps. Downside is that to create the balloons for any particular rep one has to create a matching repeat region. Upside is the balloon assignments can be done in advance of any drawing creation so that it can be added to / coordinated with an independent factory management software if desired (and at the assembly time) and not worry about having to "FIX" the order as the design changes. It also eliminates all problems with the repeat region reusing deleted items; one can create bulk items as place-holders for the removed ones if desired. Main complaint is that it's "tedious" to enter the same number for the cases of large qty's, but I figure a mapkey or other automation can be used if a huge problem exists in doing that.

Any items that have been missed will show up clumped together without an item number and any with the wrong number will likely duplicate a number from another item and should be as easy to spot as the usual repeat region errors from adding or deleting components.

Add the component parameter in a column of the family tree to see them; that can be exported to a file for any consistency review one might desire to to in Excel, for example.

And I emphasize - these are component parameters. They are not added in the individual parts. You can add an assembly component parameter column to the model tree and, when you click on the blank spot next to a component name, it will ask for the type and then ask for the value. Hence the value of a mapkey.

Much easier than layer management as every part of the way it works is visible.

From habit I always create a spreadsheet of sheet, view, and zone for all callouts. This makes it easy to ensure that no one has gone stupid and added multiple components directly on each other - a common feature when layers are used; people will have the wrong layers set, some component will be blanked, so they will figure it must have been deleted and then "fix" it by adding another copy, which will generally blend in perfectly with the original. It takes little of that to have extra screws and washers all over the place, showing as excess on the repeat region. To match that spreadsheet I create groups in the family tree of an installed component and the hardware that holds it in place. So, when I select a detail view I can also select the matching group and see what lights up.

Best of luck.

3DDave said:
My method was to use simplified reps and create assembly level component parameters for the item balloon numbers. As they are part of the assembly, they work for all the simplified reps.

Brilliant! I really like you method, I really wish PTC would address this, I feel like the drafting tools/workflow are going backwards, maybe its just me

I'm not terribly concerned about quantity accuracy on the repeat regions or in the balloons themselves since we do not have on sheet BOMs and do not put quantities in the drawing either, all that is handled on the ERP side

Only thing that kind of scares me is our product takes about 30 steps to assemble, so when I had it set up initially to run off of simplified reps, the drawing was just dragging having the 30 different simplified reps, when I switched to a single simplified rep and 30 layers it really sped up the drawing

so Im a little scared to go back to multiple simp reps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back