Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drawing Layout Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

driller2009

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2012
US
I am looking for drawing standards does any one have list of the ANSI that has a description of what each standard talks about. I don't need to buy all of them just trying to narrow down which ones I need to purchase.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank You the company I work for does not use any Standards. Its very frustrating especially being new to this company. Everyone ones has their own opinion on the way things should be done so if i do something twice one of the times its fine and the next its not. So I opened my mouth and now I have to put together Standards for us to use. Change is a though thing for a lot of people, so I am trying to cover everything and anything that applies.

What kind of things are you concerned about most, you mention drawing layout but do you also include dimensioning etc?

I was originally part of a team here introducing fuller compliance with drawing standards etc. as part of an effort to improve documentation so to try and help out I'll give you some idea of which standards I refer to most often, in descending order.

14.5 is my most frequent flier, it talks about almost all aspects of dimensioning - not just GD&T.

I'd say get a copy of 14.100, while it doesn't have too much in it there is more than many people realize.

Y14.24 - especially if you do anything other than vanilla part and assy drawings.

Y14.3 - this may be more related to 'drawing layout'

Y14.8 if you do castings and/or forgings. I'd also recommend it if you do molded parts as well.

Y14.35 - I don't look at it often as we have a moderately mature process but if your revision/doc control process needs tweaking it's a good start point.

Y14.1 - Once you have your CAD drawing templates set you you may never need to look at this one again!

Y14.34 - Again once you have your system set up you'll probably not look at it much.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back