Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing List of material revision 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacodog55

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2010
US
Revising the list of material. Drawing will be Rev B.

Item 9 is a swivel leveling foot.
Engineer wants to replace it with a non-swiveling foot.
This is a new company I am with now. Very lax drafting standards here.
Should Item 9 be lined through (deleted) on LOM and add new item # for new foot, (rev bubbles added where needed).
Or should Item 9 just be revd and description/part replaced with new foot.

Fit form function... well it is the same size, does the same thing, but it is a different part.

Any opinions?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ideally

"Item 9 should be lined through (deleted) on LOM and add new item # for new foot, (rev bubbles added where needed)."

However, a quick look in ASME Y 14.34 & 14.35 and I couldn't find this explicitly stated.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

What's the case for deleting and adding a new part number? What value does it add?

The revision history or change notice should identify "Item 9 was foot co. p/n 12, now p/n 13.

Why tinker with the rest of the drawing needlessly?

Strikethrough and new item number is the conservative method (many may say overkill). Practically I think rev-ing the item number would pass muster in most companies.

Either would be vastly superior to the way things get done around here...

Back in my govt drawing pack days rule of thumb was that you didn't re-use item numbers.

However, as I mentioned above, a quick look through 14.34&14.35 didn't turn up much to support that - I may just have overlooked it though.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Thanks. I had also looked through ASME but could not find anything.

I had wanted to just strike through. The checker said he had never seen it done that way before.

I can see a case for both methods.

Thanks

tacodog55,

What CAD software are you using?

When I first hacked with SolidWorks 2001, I determined that the strike-through capability of their bill of material software was not reliable. I made a point of not using it. Admittedly, SolidWorks has had lots of time to fix this bug.

Another issue with SolidWorks, and I am sure, lots of other stuff, is what happens after you delete the bill of material, or the view controlling the bill of material? There goes your strike-through. If my drawing view does not work, I delete it and start again. This is easy, and I wind up with a good, readable assembly drawing.

We are using SolidWorks' Excel BOM. Sometimes, this becomes corrupt, and there is no choice but to delete it and insert a new one.

Take the case that you have implemented strike-through on your BOM, and you have a requirement to copy and paste the BOM to some other application. In an Excel BOM, strike-through is implemented by fonts. This will not work in a text only application like Notepad, or a database.

There are a lot of good reasons to use strike-through on an old-fashioned, hand lettered BOM. I would be very cautious about using it on a computer.

Critter.gif
JHG

I agree with drawoh's point about CAD systems, a strikout method is unreliable at best with automaticaly created BOM's in Solidworks and Pro/E. It is probably the same in other software packages.

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

tacodog55 said:
We are STILL using IDEAS. No strike through capabilites. Just draw a line.

Meaning that your strike-through is completely unintelligent?

One of the objectives of a 3D CAD system is type-once-use-everywhere. The stuff that is not required on requisitions or in MRP, either should not be there or it should be ignored.

What happens when your in-house CAD monkeys check out your drawing with the line through the BOM item, and start changing stuff?

Critter.gif
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back