Drawing paths 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

427591HJ

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2004
AT
I have a problem.
I have model named Model1 and the drawings (15 drawings) made based of this model.
I want to make the same model with the different name.
1)I open the model and "Save as" then I select all and put prefiks _d
Now I have the same model but with the different name of model (Model1_d) and parts (Part_d)
but what about the DRAWINGS
Is there a way to easy make the drawings based on the new model Model1_d ?????

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do a Save As on the drawing, not the model. The model will copy to the new name if the config.pro option RENAME_DRAWINGS_WITH_OBJECT is set to yes. Or, if it's an assembly the option RENAME_DRAWINGS_WITH_ASSEM should be set to yes.

--
AJT
Manufacturing Engineer
The Boeing Company
St. Louis, MO

If that doesnt work for multiple drawings you can open all the drawings and keep them in session. Then rename the model (dont save as). Use the "in session" not "in session and on disk" you dont want to overwrite your originals! Do a "save as" on the drawings and they will point to the renamed model

MM

Where is "save as"?.....I have "save", "save a copy" and "save as pic", but no "save as". None of them save anything other than the drawing (under the new name), and do not save any part or assembly files (under the new name). I am currently using Pro-E 2001, am I missing something? This would be very helpful if it can be done.

Sorry.... save a copy. Yes it will only save the drawing as a new drawing, that is why I said to rename the model first (only in session, or in a dummy directory).

Basically..

1) Rename models with your drawings in session. This causes the drawings to look for the renamed model.

2)Save the drawings under the new name you want.

You then get out of pro. So the new drawings look to the renamed parts, because you had them in session when the rename was done. You still have your old drawings (because you created a copy) that point to the original files (because you just did a rename in session and left all the files on the disk with the old name)

Alternatively you could have backed up the drawings and done it in a dummy directory, then reback them up to your original directory. This way you dont have to worry about overwriting your originals.

MM

Yes, it is Save A Copy. With the procedure I described you will make a new drawing which is identical to the original drawing and related to the new model which is in turn an identical copy of the original model. Yes, you don't actually get to name the new model, just the drawing. The only caveat is that the drawing MUST be named as same as the model for this to work with the config options I noted.

To try it out create a new model and a related drawing. The both must be the same name. I.E. 1.prt, 1.drw. Put the options I noted in your config.pro. Retrieve drawing 1.drw and do File, Save A Copy. Name the new drawing 2.drw. After this look in the directory. You will see 2.drw and 2.prt which are identical copies of the first and parametrically tied together.

Hope this long winded answer helps.

--
AJT
Manufacturing Engineer
The Boeing Company
St. Louis, MO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back