Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wittenborn

Aerospace
Jun 5, 2003
US
Greetings,

This question relates to drawing revisions and issuances.

My company is trying to setup teamcenter, which uses revisions to log changes in geometry, but there is no good way to log changes in drawings.

Example.

I create a 3D model called part/A where '/A' is considered revision A. I create a drawing in a different file, called a manifestation of part/A. I dimension the drawing, print it out and send it to my customer.

Now my customer wants a dimension added to that drawing. The geometry does not change, just a new dimension added to that sheet. Does this new drawing become a new revision, B in this case, or is it now "Issue 2" of "Revision A"?

We are trying to organize our files, without creating a TON of files.

If someone out there has experience with Teamcenter, drawings or revisions, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Grant Wittenborn
Aerospace Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In our plant, any change to the drawing requires a new revision.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

With Ug, we are not using any PDM system. the drawings are in the same file with the model, in most cases. We will do exploded assembly drawings in a second file, since they have different drawing numbers.

With our move to Pro/E, we refuse to do it without a PDM system. We are still evaluating PDMLink against Pro/Intralink.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I have no experience with team center, but here is a brief run down of how revisions are handled here. We use the method of separating the drawing and model files - the model will be 12345.prt and the drawing will be 12345_dwg.prt. When a change occurs after the initial release, whether it affects only the drawing or both the model and drawing, the change(s) get logged on the drawing itself in the revision block. So if we add a dimension, for example, on the drawing we would note the date and say 'added .xxx dimension' and place a change bubble next to the dimension. Change bubbles only reflect the current revision (eg rev 2 bubbles get deleted when we make rev 3). If a drastic change occurs to the model so that the part is no longer interchangeable we 'save as' the model and drawing to 12345a.prt and 12345a_dwg.prt. This way we only have one drawing file per model that has a history of changes since the initial release.

Hello Grant,

we use iMAN for managing our UG data (...still at v18 at present).
in iMAN we have the ITEM and the ITEM Revision, Our 3D Models are the UGmaster and the Drawing is a Specification hooked off the 3D Master Model. if we change anything on the Drawing (..even a typo) we raise the 3D Master Model AND 2D Specification a Revision. (the 3D Model and Drawing are always the exact same issue).
To bump the Rev we :
call up the current Specification drawing in UG,
make the Master Model the WORKPART,
do a save as to the next REV (this will provide a dialogue window to give you the option of selecting the Specification... highlight it
The Master Model will raise a Revision taking the specification with it.
go back to the Drawing and make your changes. save and release.

regards............. Gary

Hi wittenborn,

Please refer to the thread "Iman Comments" I have given one reply for this. Hope it may help you to solve ur problem to little extent.

Prasanna
CAD Engineer
Tata Johnson Controls Automotive Ltd.
PUNE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back