Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drawing version? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeasonLee

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2008
TW
A simple question: How to open a 2017 part drawing in 2013 SolidWorks?
Thanks for your assists

Season

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Parasolid is the best solution to translate between different SW versions. However, SW 2013 does not use the same Parasolid version that SW 2013 uses. You will have to look at the version supported by 2013 in either the help or you can do a file save as, Parasolid and go to the options to find the version. Then in SW 2017, change the version in the options to match or even go lower if you want. Then SW 2013 should not have an issue opening the Parasolid.

STEP is OK when going between other CAD systems that don't support Parasolid, even IGES has gotten better over the years, but whenever possible I always use Parasolid.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I'd rather slam my hand in a door than use IGES. Parasolid and STEP are your best bets to transfer models. Is the part from an outside vendor, or from an in-house user? It's best to have everyone on the same version, although it doesn't always happen that way.

Good luck!

Al

APG63 - I would have normally agreed with you, because since I got into this career, IGES was a turd. Over the last few years, you would be surprised how much better IGES has gotten. Parker.com offers IGS and STP files for their fittings and some of their STP files are nothing but Surface data with errors. However, the IGS is usually a better solid. Not always but more often than STP. Plus STP files are so stinking big which makes STP that much more undesirable to me.

My choice above all CAD formats available would be Parasolid.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

faq731-376

Scott,

I've personally had better luck with Parasolid or STEP files. You are right, though, it does depend of the source. Most of the IGES files I've received were surface models with missing faces. Not a lot of fun to deal with. It's okay for graphic representation, but I couldn't mate anything to them. Parker has some great models, as does McMaster Carr. I just wish their parts didn't have modeled threads on their fasteners. That really slows things down in my assemblies.

Al

@APG63,
The slow down caused by the threads can be easily avoided by suppressing the Helix feature.

Suppressed_Helix_fysipa.png

That's what I do as well CBL and then I change the face to a lime Green to represent the threads.

APG63 - Also, you will want to go into the Image quality of the Mcmaster-Carr parts and turn down the detail. Its set to high and will also slow your box down.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back