Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawing view question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodclot

Mechanical
Jan 5, 2006
US
I have some drawings view dimensions that have gone from grey to that olive color. I assume that this means they are not attached to the view any longer. Is there some way to re-attach them without have to re-dimension them. Also, the box surrounding the view has changed to a light blue color. I am not sure why this happened or how to change it back. I have included a picture to show you exactly what it looks like.

Suggestions welcomed and thanks.

Bloodclot

***** Fear not those who argue but those who dodge *****

Dell Precision 670
3.0 Ghz Xeon Processor
Nvidia FX3450
3 gig of RAM
Dual 19" Viewsonics

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately, I have not found a way to reattach dimensions. I always end up remaking.

Being that it is only a small handful of dimensions, it would be much quicker to re-dimension this drawing rather than finding a fix for it.

Flores
SW06 SP4.1

If the dimensions were imported from the drawing, then (as TheTick & SBaugh stated) there is no way to re-attach them.

However, if the dimensions were placed manually in the drawing views, you should be able to re-attach by clicking on a dimension and dragging its attachment points to any piece of geometry. But that's only one click less than deleting & replacing.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​

Thanks for the replies. Any idea what is the deal with the light blue box around the view?

Bloodclot

Dell Precision 670
3.0 Ghz Xeon Processor
Nvidia FX3450
3 gig of RAM
Dual 19" Viewsonics

Your Drawing View is fixed. However if you are using a space ball you can sill move the view if it is selected

What version of SW are you using?

In SW06 the colours are;
Dotted green line indicates the view is selected.
Pink dotted line with solid corners indicates the view is locked.
Green dotted line with solid corners indicates the view is selected and locked.
Red dotted line indicates dynamic highlighting.

There is no "light blue" listed.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​

We are on SW2006 SP3.1 and the color is probably the pink. The confusion about the color probably goes back to that color blind thing again. Good thing I am married so there is someone to dress me in the morning :)

Bloodclot

Dell Precision 670
3.0 Ghz Xeon Processor
Nvidia FX3450
3 gig of RAM
Dual 19" Viewsonics

bloodclot,
You should take the time to go through the help menu. All of these are covered there. Although you are colored blind, it will tell or show you what they mean.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

I did search the help menu first but could not find the answers. I may have been putting in the wrong search criteria or maybe I made it too detailed.

Dell Precision 670
3.0 Ghz Xeon Processor
Nvidia FX3450
3 gig of RAM
Dual 19" Viewsonics

I have had some success in reattaching some dimensions by grabbing the end of the witness line and dragging it to the entity you want it to refer to. This works well with ordinate dimensions and usually, I think, with dimensions that only one entity of the measurement changed so only one side has actually gone dangling. You can drag the lines to holes pretty well usually. I'm not certain what criteria makes it work for some and not others. This is usually only worth it if you had gone through the trouble of using modified tolerances or additional text on them. If it is just a standard dimension you are better off deleting and re-creating.

I did pose the question to my VAR as well. This was their answer:

Solidworks has been saying for years that only Refernece dimensions CAN be re-attached. However, no one at the VAR has ever seen it work.

Guess I will have to just redo the dimensions for all 12 drawings. :(

Dell Precision 670
3.0 Ghz Xeon Processor
Nvidia FX3450
3 gig of RAM
Dual 19" Viewsonics

When the view is bounded by the pink box with solid corners the view is supposed to be locked. This is what I see when I try to select and unlock it. Based on my available options it is showing me that it is already unlocked yet it has the pink box????????

Bloodclot

Dell Precision 670
3.0 Ghz Xeon Processor
Nvidia FX3450
3 gig of RAM
Dual 19" Viewsonics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back