Drawings for Retaining Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigH

Geotechnical
Dec 1, 2002
TJ
Hey all,

Just thought I would post a picture (below) on a counterfort retaining wing walls (2) - not the portal - and ask a simple question. How many design drawings do you think were made for these two relatively short walls? I'll wait a week before I post the answer. Would love to have your guesses!

T3_Wingwalls_kbnmj7.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One - plan view, elevation view, horizontal cut with reinforcing detail, 2 vertical cuts with reinforcing detail.

Based on what i see now days and assuming that the project was only the wing walls so you needed a cover sheet, notes, etc.; 20 sheets is my guess.

I agree that many of sheets are needed, but it seems to take more and more sheets for even the simplest projects.

Mike Lambert

Knowing how BigH likes to work in remote areas, I assumed that these already built walls are not in a highly developed country. Therefore I guessed that there were a lot less regulations to be followed when these walls were built. Therefore, I guessed only one plan sheet was used at that time for these wing walls.

Too many sheets and it may well get fouled up. That's how re-bars get in the wrong face. Don't know if you had the same prof at Cornell. Came from Germany after the war. Said somehow even with those mistakes they still work. He was not George Winter, but maybe from Netherlands.

If it is a DOT job in the US, it can require two sheets. The second sheet will include reinforcing schedule and details, also enlarged details of connections.

One sheet is my guess which will have a plan and sections with rebar and dowel requirements. Notes could be referenced to another drawing for the entire project.

A good response! Designer is a European group working as the EPC Contractor's designer.

Ready for a good laugh? 52 DRAWINGS!! Yes, 52. Each drawing in both English and Russian!

FIFTY TWO . . .

[cheers]

p.s. We postulate that the designer gets paid per drawing!

OG - was that Cornell professor: Professor Gergely? He was asked a day or so before the top part of the St. Louis Arch was putting on the top piece "Will it fit?" - they were building from both sides - He did a graphical solution and said it would. I guess he was right.

I didn't know the appropriate place to post this- but thanks so much for inviting me to this thread BigH- it is a real privilege.

You may know that I'm from South Africa (Durban)- I graduated as a Geologist with dreams of mineral exploration, but due to personal circumstances got suckered into working in the city, as an Engineering Geologist. Our mode of operation here is generally not commensurate with 1st world practice. We rarely drill boreholes because they're too expensive. Our government puts out crooked tenders which heavily favour politically empowered "previously disadvantaged" entities...so as a small, Caucasian-owned business, we have to fight hard to get any meaningful work. Most of our gifted engineers have emigrated to first-world countries- I suppose I am part of the dregs that got left behind!

Most of what I know has been gleaned from the experience of my old directors, and is founded more on practice than on theory. The founder of the firm I now manage was Dr Rodney Maud, who passed away a few years back- he published extensively in South Africa but I'm not sure if he is known in America...he was partnered with a Dr John Drennan, who I believe was the more scientific of the two. I'm not particularly academic, but try and learn in my own time...I am often left in awe by the posts from you top guys and wonder if I will ever get there.

I generally won't post in this forum unless I have something of value to add, but I will be following all of your posts with great enthusiasm.

Sincerely,
Michael Cooper

MM,

If you don't mind, I would like to suggest the phrase "Developed World" instead of the first world. The other regions will be "Developing World/Countries", "Under-developed World". Geologist should be in high demand in S.A, for its richness in mining, isn't it?

Retired13- Geologists should be in high demand, but unfortunately our government has put extreme affirmative action measures in place, such that white professionals are now blatantly denied the professional ranks.

Our mining sector is also in dire straits due to perpetual strikes and rioting, so I don't believe the outlook is particularly good in that field.

I don't want to discuss the political aspect of it- save to say, I'm very grateful for my position as an Engineering Geologist!

MM

MM,

I am with you, and understand the power of "reverse..." Africa is the only continent that I don't understand, politically and humanitarianly. But what I know anyway!

Thanks retired13. Of course there is more to it than the chaos- the untouched wilderness is so beautiful as to defy belief...it's the cities where all the rubbish accumulates.

I am British by descent- was born in Zimbabwe, from which my parents fled when I was 1 year old. Fast forward 35 years, and they've just recently fled South Africa, and now reside in England where they seem to be equally miserable.

I am hardy, motivated and optimistic, so will be here until the end!!!

Glad to have you on board Mad Mike!

I've a good mate, engineering geologist, who is from S.A. Have worked with him on a number of projects in Indonesia and Malaysia. Good man - a real "mountain goat" . . . as in the hydro business we deal with mountains!

[CHEERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back