Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drawings: Material properties from the part

Status
Not open for further replies.

CU001

Mechanical
Nov 7, 2012
US
Hi, I have a question:

1. If I want to have the part's materials properties in the drawing ($PRPSHEET:{Material}), in the part, I have to go to File>Properties>Custom and select the Material under property. Why is this not populated automatically? (I am using a custom material, if it matters)?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It'll not auto populate and you'll have to assign it in the file properties for the part.

The best you can do is edit the part template and add the material property an save it. Now next time you make a new part and assign material to it, this property will get automatically updated and you can link to it in the drawing.

Deepak Gupta
CSWE, CSWP, CSDA
SW 2012 SP5.0 & 2013 SP 1.0 EV
Boxer's SolidWorks™ Blog
SolidWorks™ Rendering Contest

CU, we keep our custom properties in the part and assembly files, and populate the drawing from them. We do not keep any custom properties in the drawing file itself. Just our practice and I think this is fairly common; hope that helps.

Diego

CU0001,
Not sure if this is what's confusing you but, the property the drawing is referring to is not the "Material" in the part feature tree. It refers the "Material" property specified in the part File Properties dialog box. There is normally no link between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back