Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drawings that we have contain error

Status
Not open for further replies.

zennis

Structural
Oct 25, 2002
US
Drawings that we have contain errors (recieved from on CD rom from contractor), we have recovered the drawings, audited the drawings, purged the drawings and have saved changes. However, every time we open the drawings AutoCAD 2002 detects errors and asks "do we want to cancel opening", which we have to say no to just to open the drawings. Does anyone know of any remedies/suggestions? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This all depends on the type of errors you are having. If you are opening the drawings from a CD then they will be read only drawings, so if the contractor had special fonts that they did supply you with you would get error messages. Autocad would then proceed to open with a default font; but because you couldn't save the drawing it would revert back once you closed it. In this case I would save the drawings locally this should clear up that problem.

Hi zennis,

do you have "Volo View" or "Volo View Express"? Maybe you can open the *.dwg with VV and save as *.dxf. Then open the *.dxf with ACAD.
Good luck..., Lothar Win NT4.0 (SP6),
ACAD 2000i (SP2), ADT 3.0 (SP3),
OCÈ 5200

Question to Zennis:
If you open the file with errors, does it open? OR does it KICK you out of AutoCAD 2002?

If it does open in AutoCAD 2002 and you're worried about the errors ... try saving the file to an earlier version like AutoCAD release 12.

If saving the file or working with the DWG file ... IS NOT AN ISSUE, ... THEN I would try a FREE viewer from Autodesk like "EXIT" suggested.

Hope that helps [spin]

Not knowing what type of error you are dealing with the above info could help. However should the error be beyond what is dealt with above, open the drawing and wblock the entire drawing under a new name to your directory of choice.

This will blow away some of the header information associated with the drawing and seems to fix most problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back