Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DREDGED IN ROCK WITHOUT EXPLOSIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANSIF

Geotechnical
Jun 20, 2001
MX
Dear colleagues, in order to carry out dredged works in a conglomerate the employment of explosive were not allowed; however, it was possible to remove it applying an apparently liquid “substance” that was able to fracture the rock and made easier their later removal. Does somebody know this substance? Can somebody tell me where I may find information about it?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On dry land, you can use Bristar which is an expansive cement, but you have to drill holes for the cement which is poured in and then expands during curing, but it is only really viable for small volumes. There are other manufacturers. Try expansive cements in Google

If by dredging you mean underwater, you might be able to use the cement in a waterproof sock, but as for a liquid that you just pour on I doubt if one exists that would penetrate to any depth and it would dilute rapidly in the water. (Hydrochloric acid would dissolve limestone for example)

There are underwater hydraulic hammers that could break up the rock. They are usually fitted to a hydraulic excavator.

With some more details of the problem, more detailed suggestions are possible.

StephenA

Dear StephenA, I thank your comments and I will look for expansive cement in the web. My particular case refers the necessity to dredge of the order of 1 m in limestone below 2.5 m of sea water.

Cordial greetings

The expansive cement requires that you drill holes at quite close centres ~300 to 500mm and that the expansion can take place i.e. you need a free face.

I would expect the operation to be very time consuming.

ANSIF
Check with the major dredge manufacturers - they have most likely addressed this in the past and can recommend cutter heads and procedures.

Keep the wheels on the ground
Bob

A conglomerate may clog the cutter head.

There is a milling head that can be attached to an excavator.

What volume of rock do you need to remove?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back