Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dress Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

UDP10

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2006
US
Our firm currently adopts a "business casual" philosophy for office dress. The policy is vague on purpose with the intention being able to dress comfortably yet professionally.

Due to a couple of internal complaints and the idea of "professional" being taken a little too liberally, we're rethinking the policy. Should ties be required for everyone, just for meetings, or at all? The women's clothing requirements are where it gets really tricky..

What are some thoughts on office dress? Are there any standards? We consider ourselves to be a professional engineering consulting firm and we want to come across that way. But... the office world is different than it was twenty years ago and the employees have a lot more options - people aren't just happy to be working, so we also have to be sensitive to the fact that no one wants to wear ties. We don't want to make the employees uncomfortable/unhappy either.

You can certainly do the same design in a golf shirt as you can in a tie, but there is something to be said for a professional appearance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My humble opinion is to keep things business casual, (slacks/khakis, polo shirt, or button down shirts). I only wear ties on the occaisions I meet with clients for the first couple of times.

I personally think there are a lot of options out there to look polished and professional without wearing ties. Wear blazers, sweaters, things like that to mix it up.

Sometimes a strict dress code can go way to far and give a "stuffy" type of feeling to the employees and clients.

If you want to impress or stand out to your boss over others, make note of what they wear, and go one notch above!!!

Reading all these responses reminds me of my corporate "dress for success" bull$%$$ days.

I left that ratrace and started my own company.

I am pretty strict with my employees. I insist their shorts and tank tops be clean, with no pizza stains, as I hate pizza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back