Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drift Capacities in ASCE 41

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMEY

Structural
Feb 5, 2009
CA
I was told by someone that it is important to consider drift capacities when doing a seismic evaluation. Particularly for things like unreinforced masonry and stuff like that. As they explained it to me, if you have something like a masonry wall which is not being used as part of the seismic force resisting system, it still has to be able to move along with the building without failing - even if it is just going along for the ride. Makes sense to me. They told me to look in ASCE 41 for drift limits for different materials. I'm reading through it right now, and I can't find anywhere that even mentions drift capacity. Can someone please tell me if it is actually in there somewhere. In particular, I am looking for masonry walls. Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Table 11.7 in the masonry section gives drift ratios corresponding to different points on the generalized force-deformation backbone curve.

I'm not sure if there is a more relevant set of limits for nonstructural elements, though. I'm just a casual user of that document.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back