Drill String & Casing Part 1 - Introduction 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazem El Messery

Petroleum
Aug 22, 2021
EG
Hi guys,

It is my first thread in this forum. I am Hazem Emessery drilling engineering department head in Shell cairo office. Here I will start explaining drill string and casing for young engineers. My articles will be a collection of topics and with reference to help you in your

The drill string is an important part of the rotary drilling process. It is the connection between the rig and the drill bit. Although the drill string is often a source of problems such as washouts, twist-offs, and collapse failures, it is seldom designed to prevent these problems from occurring. In many cases, a few minutes of drill string design work could prevent most of the problems.

Purposes and Components:

The drill string serves several general purposes, including the following:
[ol 1]
[li]provide a fluid conduit from the rig to the bit[/li]
[li]impart rotary motion to the drill bit[/li]
[li]allow weight to be set on the bit[/li]
[li]lower and raise the bit in the well[/li]
[/ol]

In addition, the drill string may serve some of the following specialized services:
[ul]
[li]provide some stability to the bottom-hole assembly to minimize vibration and bit jumping,[/li]
[li]allow formation fluid and pressure testing through the drill string,[/li]
[li]permit through-pipe formation evaluation when logging tools cannot be run in the open hole,[/li]
[/ul]

The drill string consists primarily of the drill pipe and bottom-hole assembly (BHA). The drill pipe section contains conventional drill pipe, heavyweight pipe and occasionally a reamer. The BHA may contain the following items:
- drill collars (several types and sizes)
- stabilizers
- jars
- reamers
- shock subs
- bit,
- bit sub.

Special tools in the BHA or drill pipe may include measurement while drilling (MWD) tools, drill stem testing tools, and junk baskets.

Ref: DRILLLING Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back