Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drilled gas pipe

JohN345

Electrical
Oct 22, 2024
GB
I work for an engineering company and was fitting and EV charger the other day when I drilled into a gas pipe. It marked the pipe so my colleague who is qualified did his gas safety check and confirmed was no leak and was fine. We left but now it’s been a week I’m thinking if I should have reported it. I contacted him again and he confirmed it was absolutely fine and didn’t need reporting. I have spoken to other colleagues who said it was ok too. However I can’t stop thinking about it, should I report it now a week later? I worried about losing my job. Has anyone else had something similar happen? Any advise please it’s keeping me up at night

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes you should / must report it. Many many incidents happen weeks or months after damage to a gas pipe which results in a weak spot on the pipe.

Your colleague is understandably reluctant to report this, but you do need to do it, if only for what sounds like your own mental well being. Sometimes this can be anonymous / burner e-mail address etc, but be very precise as to where it occurred and report it to your local gas distribution company. They sometimes have a way of proving a report without saying who you are as they know people are reluctant to report damage.

It's 0800 111 999 in the UK which is for gas leaks, but this is close enough.

Find out which area you are in and if that doesn't work then send them an email from a burner account with details if you're that concerned, but usually honesty is the best policy. Most pipeline operators would much rather be told than not.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

It's could make for a corrosion hot spot, even if you only damaged the coating.

I can try to report it for you, if you like.
I'm retired. Owe nobody nothing and have not lived in the USA for 39yrs.
My email address is here.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Back