Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drilling a power beyond port in Commercial valve end plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoksnow

Mechanical
Mar 29, 2009
I understand that since I cnat locate that end plate with the power beyond port, that I can drill and tap a port for it. Does anyone know of any tip or tricks that might keep from ruining this setup. Thank you for reading.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Obviously take the cap off of the valve first. You should find some O-rings inside. Make sure you don't ruin the grooves when you drill and tap. Make sure you do a good job so the fitting doesn't blow out and hurt someone.

The bigger problem is how are you going to block the pressure galley from the tank galley? The end plate does not look think enough to have a provision for a plug.

ISZ

To be honest your best bet is to take it to a local service center to have that work done. Unless you have the drill, ream and tap to properly do the job it will be quite difficult to do on your own.
Use at least an auto feed drill press with coolant. Remember their usually soft cast iron and require low feed rates.
Be sure that when you put the cap back onto the valve you torque the valve to the proper torque setting. V20 is IIRC 32 lbft and V40 with four studs is 25 lbft. If you incorrectly torque the valve you can bind the spools in the valves. Check for free movement of all spools after assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back