Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

drilling feed and speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrosnfr

Industrial
Mar 12, 2005
US
i am running 8620 steel shaft between centers on a mazak 400markIII.useing coolant thru solid carbide drill.running 3000rpm and 9.0IPM.can run max rpm of 12,000 rpm.how fast can i run this type of drill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd recommend that you call the drill manufacturer to get recommendations, but off the top of my head I'd say 2500-3000 RPM , feedrate 15-18 inches per minute.

You're only feeding .003 per revolution, which is about half what it should be.

Manufacturing Freeware and Shareware

Hi Nitro,

Go with the following drill:

If it is 3xD go with Guhring series #5510
If it is 5xD go with Guhring series #5511
The drills have Guhring's Firex coating which kicks but in these types of steels.
Since you are drilling in to a convex surface you will want to reduce the feed rate by 50% as the drill starts in to the shaft. You will want to do this for about .100" in to the part. You will have to straight "G" code this and get out of the G81 unless your control has a macro to handle this.

You can start at 4000 RPM with a feed of 44 IPM. Again, slow down to 22 IPM for .100" depth as the drill enters the part. Do not use a spot drill. These drills are self centering and do not require a spot. The through coolant is very important.
Have fun.

ok Scott thanks.i run a G98 when drilling this so slow feed first.100" then speed up is no problem.
Gave me a new problem at work now to figure out.milling a clutch in the face of a part with an angled ramp up for it to have mating gear lock into with a 6.0 degree negative angle on the locking side where it engages.doing this with a C&Z axis interpolation move.programmer did it all wrong so i rewrote it on the floor and made it work.wish programmers would see machine work when they do this to see what we have to redo before we make it work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back