Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drilling Monel 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMILYLUCY

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2003
GB
I am trying to drill 25mm holes through 40 thick Monel 400.
Has anybody got any tips i have tried high speed drills, Allied maxcut drills and U-Drills.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Aside from all the techniques for drilling a work hardening material is the part annealed?

I would get with a big mill supply house or a drill bit provider and get the drill bit they recommend.

Some things you to lookout for:
Use a ridged setup.
Use a machine feed. No stops and starts.
Watch your cutting fluids, if it is sulfurized make sure the part is thoroughly cleaned after machining.

Here is good starting point for drill bits and information.

You are trying to drill a 25mm dia hole through this HRSA material. I visit Special Metals every couple of weeks and we supply 75% of their cutting tools (sandvik).

Consider the cost of a solid carbide drill around 25mm, this will not be cheap. U-Drill is a copyrighted Sandvik drill, all other indexable insert drills are just that and not U-Drills.

For small quantities s/c maybe the answer certainly with thru-coolant. Run around 25 M/Min Vc with a feed of around 0.08mm/rev

Use a U-Drill or the new CoroDrill 880 for larger quantities.

Yeah, Titex is a little cheaper but the quality difference between Guhring and Titex is drastic. I work for GE and we do a lot of drilling in my area and we have tested both. We tried Titex because it was a bit less in price. The Titex folks told me to run it at the same feeds and speeds as the Guhring and would not hold up. We had to slow it down by around 25%. My boss did not like that. Guhring has superior materials and manufacturing over Titex.

I drilled today monel 400 with a diameter of 29 and a depth of 30mm (through).
I did this with the Corodrill 880 of Sandvik Coromant.
I used the GM geometrie with grade 4044.
Cutting speed 100M/min and a feed of 0,06mm/rev.
All this with coolant outside!!
Chips where good.

scottmaha
I am sorry you did not get the results you wanted .I can normaly beat any Guhring drill in most MFG applications.If you would like to try again I would be more than happy to work with you .jjv32@aol.com I work for Titex ....WI,IL

Emiltlucy
As far as the drilling application you can use a A3385TFL from Titex run it at about 100 sfm and .0063 IPR 2.4IPM 10% sol coolant.The HP it will take is about 5.2 and you should get about 80 holes.Make sure your setup is ridged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back