Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Drilling tellurium copper, 145 copper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalfixer

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2003
US
Looking for the best method to drill 3/32" diameter hole thru 1.25 length of 3/8"
diameter copper.
I can use the lathe or vertical mill, but not sure on the type of drill or
coolant, or which machine to use, or feeds and speeds.
I have about 200 pieces to drill.
I searched and found many different methods, but I am posting here for other
suggestions.
I found out the hard way, copper is different to drill than steel. 3 broken
drills, no finished pieces.
Thanks,
Larry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Copper can be a bear- it would help to point out which exact alloy you're using.

Copper is difficult because it is extremely malleable- it will flow around tools if cutting pressures become extreme.

The most basic guidelines would be:

-use SHARP, bright tooling
-if you re-sharpen your tools make sure not to burn them
-LOTS of coolant is required. If your drills are getting warm to the touch, you need more coolant and/or slower feed. Copper will gum up quickly when working temperatures go up.
-split point 118 degree drills are probably your best starting point

You'll have to experiment with speeds and feeds. Because your hole size is so small, you need a lot of RPM.

In addition to the SHARP tooling, I'll add that you should not use a tool on copper once it's been used on any other metal. IME, the wear, no matter how minute, affects the cutting geometry enough to ruin your performance in copper.

I'd be peck feeding every .030" and coming the whole way up out of the hole to clear chips. Flood coolant, too. 1.25" @ 3/32 diameter is tough in my book.

Tellurium ? Must be expensive stuff since its a very rare element.
Like all machining don't over do the surface speed, or push it too hard, if the highspeed breaks down too fast use carbide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back