Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DRILLING 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

id4master

Mining
Mar 6, 2013
NG
I am HSE Engineer with four years hands on experience in oil and gas industry. I am a graduate of Mining engineering but I have not practice as Mining engineer. My long desire has always been to be a seasoned drilling engineer. How do I going into drilling, I mean which training would you advise me to go for or what's your general advise if any.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Experience is invaluable. I agree with DubMac and would try to find a drilling contractor to work for. A lot of major oil and gas companies sub contract drilling out to drilling contractors, so that could be a way to get your foot in the door.

Contrary to the others, I would caution against working for a drilling contractor unless you could get with a contractor that routinely performs "turnkey" contracts, where the contractor designs the well and manages the drilling. Most drilling contractors hire engineers to design pump applications, to optimize horsepower usage, etc. Their emphasis is more on mechanical than petroleum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back