Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drip Disposal System

Status
Not open for further replies.

gt5879c

Civil/Environmental
Oct 31, 2006
US
I have designed a drip disposal system on a 36,000 gpd system. Because the system is on a hillside and the static head is pretty high, I would need a pump with very high head. I'm talking 200 FT TDH an 70 gpm. I am having trouble finding a suitable pump. I had intended to use Orenco effluent pumps, but the only one that will work (PF5050) would be running way out on the right of the curve. Can you install those types of pumps in series to get more head? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you can use 2 pumps in series.

The Orenco is a semi positive displacement pump. I think it should be putting out about 85 psi or so. However, I would not recommend 2 of the semi positive displacement pumps in series.

You should review this issue with a pump supplier so that you get the correct design.

Thanks for the advice. I've never used a PD pump before. Who makes them for applications like this? Also, if I were to use the Orenco pumps, how would I place them in series?

bimr is right, a positive displacement pump is not a cheap piece of equipment. If you consider a diaphragm pump, search for ABEL Pumps or GEHO. Gorman Rupp and Seepex have progressive cavity pumps which can do that.

The Orenco pump is called a semi-positive displacement (SPD) grinder pump.

A PD pump is probably too expensive and will be difficult to use and costly for a sewage application.

You can use standard centrifugal pumps in series.

The Orenco pump in question is not a semi-positive displacement (SPD) grinder pump. It is a high head effluent pump similar to a submersible well pump.

I'm not sure how you would install them in series. When you say "series" I imagine you mean the outlet of the first pump pumps into the outlet of the next, keeping flow constant but doubling output pressure. Submersible water pumps don't have inlets that can be readily coupled to outlets. At least not that I'm aware of.

In theory, if your drip system pushes 70 GPM at XX pressure, and you had a pressure regulator at the head of the drip system set to XX pressure, installing 2 pumps in parallel would push each of them to the left of the curve. That is, each pump would only have to push 35 GPM, thereby boosting the available pressure of the pumping system to well over 200'.

Have you considered splitting the drip system into 2 zones fed by separate force mains? In that case, a single PF5050 could feed each zone. Redundancy in these sorts of systems is a great thing as it provides for enhanced operations and maintenance capabilities.

I've attached the curve for the pump in question for the benefit of others.

I was thinking more of a solids handling sewage pump.

However, you have a better recommendation. The solution is to use two smaller pumps in parallel with separate force mains. The high head well pump should work as long as you are able to strain all of the solids out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back