Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DRIVE OVERLOADED FAULT

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng2hot

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2004
US
I HAVE A 100 HP YASKAWA VFD THAT RUNS A 100 HP MOTOR FOR WATER PUMPING PURPOSES. WE JUST PUT THIS DRIVE ON LINE AND WAS RUNNING AT APPROXIMATELY THE SAME SPEED (ABOUT 54 HZ)FOR 2 DAYS. THERE WERE NO LOAD CHANGES IN THE SYSTEM (MAJOR). THE VFD TRIPPED AND A "INV OVERLOADED FAULT" CAME UP. ANY HINTS OF WHAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THE FAULT. AS I MENTIONED EARLIER, THERE WERE NO CHANGES IN LOADS ON MOTOR.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why don't you try to find your CAP LOCK key and turn it off, repost and Red Flag your original post for deletion. SHOUTING is really bad form.

Just guessing that it was putting out more amps than the Inv Overload setpoint.

VFDs are basically current output devices. If you haven't already, compare that VFD output current rating with motor nameplate FLA.

The drive experts will be along shortly, so get your motor data and drive configuration data ready....

HP is relatively meaningless in VFD world. What is the FLA of the motor and what is the max. amp rating of the VFD? Is it 100HP VT rating or CT rating? Any chance of a voltage sag while it was running?

Following on davidbeach's comment; all caps makes posts difficult to read. The way our brains have been trained to process typed words quickly is to recognize their shapes for common words, then resort to actual spelling only when necessary. All caps forces us to read each letter individually. It gives me a headache.

If the motor-pump was connected to 50 HZ and now the VFD frequency is 54 HZ, the speed increase on the motor-pump will demand 25.9% more power. Enough to overload your power supply.

aolalde,
If he is speaking in HP instead of kW, chances are good he is in North America, so 60Hz. Good point though, we tend to make these assumptions and it isn't 100% sure.

eng2hot, if you would please, give us the motor nameplate data and the drive nameplate data.

We can be of the best help with this information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back