Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drive system design question

Status
Not open for further replies.

richm1

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2002
US
I have a project in which I need to design a gear drive or similar drive system (perhaps belt drive) to turn two seperate shafts which hold a number of wire brushes (diameters and quantities vary, typically the brushes are 12" dia and there could be 10+ of them on a shaft). The shafts sit vertically and are spaced roughly 20" apart when not in use. When the system is activated the brush shafts move inwards together to clean objects (using the wire brushes to clean). The speed the shafts typically spin are 60-90 rpm. We are currently using two independent gear motors that are 1/4HP 200 in-# torque at 60rpm. I'm looking for a inexpensive but yet good solution for the application. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi. I think belt drive(pulley) has some advantages over gear drive for your system, for instance it produces less noise, less expensive, easier to maintain, easier to assemble etc.

I assume you are hoping to drive both shafts from a single input. In that case why not look at the Schmidt coupling design. This allows infinite float within the operating range with no speed variation and no loads on related bearings. It would probably be desirable to have some limiting rigid end stops for the adjustment.

At around 25 Nm it will not need a 'big' coupling but a special design might be necessary to cope with the range of adjustment. If one shaft is fixed and only one has to move this would be an efficient solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back