Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

drivetrain noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearach

Mechanical
Jun 9, 2003
US
I am posting this on behalf of someone at bicycling.com. I suggested that he is setting up a resonant vibration mode and to check compatibility of his chain with the cranks and also to see if the rear derailleur pulleys were tight and lubed./Bearach

"What's the deal with drivetrain noise?

Currently, I am riding a Campy Veloce equipped bike. It has about 1500km on it at the moment. When I ride in the 39 ring, there is no noise. When I ride in the 53 ring, there a consistent buzz in most gears. It has always done this, though it is not as pronounced now that the drivetrain is somewhat worn-in.

Why is it silent in one ring, but not in the other? The chain isn't skipping, I've made sure of that. The chain is adequately lubricated as well, so I know I don't have any awful metal-on-metal problems"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An interesting question. I would probably need to see or hear the "buzz" to offer a good answer, but there are a number of things that change when you go from the smaller ring to the larger.

The chain tension will change, also the reletive frequencies of the gear teeth engaging the chain will be different. This could cause the chain to vibrate. Try a different lubricant. That may dampen things a little.

Nigel Waterhouse & Associates
Aeronautical Consulting Engineers

Transport Canada and F.A.A approval & certification of fixed and rotor wing aircraft alterations: Structures, Systems, Powerplants and electrical. FAA PMA, TC PDA.
n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com

This is a terribly old thread I'm digging up here, but perhaps those haunting this rarely used forum may still be interested.

I would suggest it is a simple matter of chain alignment... one cog to the next relevant to the rear cluster.

Jon Weaving

Could it be something so simple a a rubbing front derailluer?

------------------------------------------
"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys typing on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare.

Blair Houghton

Thanks Grippy and ACtrafficengr, but I forwarded Nigel's post to the bicycling.com forums and the poster who had the problem never did post what it was that was causing the noise, or what he did to solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back