Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DriveWorks Express 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdybeck

Mechanical
May 14, 2003
US
Anyone have the scoop on the DriveWorks Express promo card in their SolidWorks 2006 CD shipment? It appears it will be included in SolidWorks at some point (just like moldflow express, cosmos express, and idf import), but is not there in SP 0.0 of 2006. I managed to find the site for DriveWorks (British site) and watched a demo - pretty interesting.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Driveworks Express is typically $995 US. The promo for Solidworks 2006 is that all existing and new users will get a 1 year license for free as part of the upgrade to 2006. it doesn't look like it's permanent like Cosmos or Moldflow, but I think it's great. It'll give folks that need it a taste of what rules driven design is capable of of how you can increase your speed and productivity of automating designs. If you go to their website it explains that you need to download and install/activate the software. the VAR's should be showing it when they do their New Release rollouts from what I hear. I've seen it and it's a strong product and less expensive that some other solutions similar to it.

Anyone here installed DriveworksXpress yet? Originally we were told that our products are too unique to utilize this software, but now they said on our down-time (what is that?) that we can install it and try it out. Hopefully some time this week I will get a chance to install it, but I was wondering if anyone has taken advantage of the "1 year free" offer.

Flores
SW 2006 SP1.0

smcadman,

I would be interested to hear as well. I have not had enough "down time" as you mention, to consider giving it a whirl.

Pete

I sent the guys at DriveWorks an email (support@driveworks.co.uk) asking for help for a quick start up. Within an hour I had a reply pointing me in the direction of movie files, powerpoints, completed examples and partially completed examples.

A couple of hours later we had a good understanding of how I could use this on our products, and we have not looked back. The few hours finding out was repaid a day or two later.

If you've got the right product DriveWorksXpress will save you hours.

L.

I downloaded the avi file but my windows media player 10 says it's missing a codec. I tried watching it with quicktime and realplayer, but still no go. Is it just my computer, or is anyone else having trouble with that video? (the one at )

Flores
SW 2006 SP1.0

I just reported the problem to DriveWorks support. If I get a reply, I will post it here.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Just received from DriveWorks support:-
Thanks for the email regarding our AVI. I am sorry that it did not autorun.
It was created using CAMTASIA by TechSmith.
The CODEC is available from
I should be really grateful if you could let the others in your forum know.

I will also look at re-saving it as a Windows Media File (I had found previously that the resolution had not been quite so clear)
The actual page for the codec is Once downloaded just double click for auto-install.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back