Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DriveWorksXpress Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveparkinson

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2008
GB
Following some advice from a previous thread I have decided to use DriveWorksXpress to automate the design of the product that my company manufactures.

We manufacture a steel tipping body that is essentially very simple in construction. It is all produced from sheet metal. See the link below for an image of what we do.

For the automated model, I need to be able to specify the length, height and volume of the body. I also need to be able to specify different configurations, for example we need to be able to choose between normal tailgate, barn-door tailgate and split tailgate (horizontally split in the middle).

My questions are:

1) Will DriveWorksXpress be capable of this? Or will I have to upgrade to DriveWorks?

2) What would be the best way to model the Assembly? For example, should I define the length of one part, the floor say to 6500mm and then set the length of other parts by using 'Up To Surface' or 'Offset From Surface' - Or should I define the length of the floor and then define the length of the side rails by setting the rule 'D1@Floor' - 350mm.

3) Have you guys used Driveworks? If so what did you use it for and how? It'd be interesting to hear what you have done.

I appreciate that you guys can not really make an informed decision without knowing how the body is constructed, or without seeing the model - and also that my description might be very poor.

I am somewhat a novice so any advice, no matter how simple would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DriveWorksXpress, like COSMOSXpress, is mainly for singular parts, not assemblies. While you can use it to drive the assembly, you'd need underlying equations in the assembly to get it to work. However, using it would give you insight in to how DriveWorks does work.
From what you're describing, I'd say you need the full-blown version of DriveWorks. This will allow you to drive everything you're wanting to drive in your assembly.
Again, I encourage you to check out their website. The people at DriveWorks are very helpful.
Ugh, I know I'm sounding like an ad here, but I've used DriveWorks and know many of the people there. It really is a great product.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Certified DriveWorks AE
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

I have encountered some trouble; I called up my reseller and asked for some information on DriveWorks. They said that they don't supply it and prefer to sell a program called TACTOM instead, anyone ever heard of it?

I'm just about to renew my subscription so I can jump ship if I need to!

You don't have to purchase DriveWorks from your VAR, you can go to another one. I've never heard of TACTOM. I believe you meant TactonWorks. Both DriveWorks and TactonWorks are gold partners, so you should take your time to investigate both.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Certified DriveWorks AE
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

Hello Dave,

Here are some answers to your questions...

1) While I don't know what is the best solution for you, based on the information you provided ...

The main things that the full DriveWorks gives you is (and that DriveWorksXress does not have):

- Full Drawing Automation (size & location of drawing views)
- Long Drop down lists (Xpress is limited to 4 items in a drop down list)
- Look up tables (this is very helpful in engineering when you are sizing a product)
- Graphics in the user interface
- Full support for multiple users (Xpress is not meant for multiple users, although in theory more than one person can open the same database)

2) If you use DriveWorksXpress, Full DriveWorks or TactonWorks... you should add the rules (equations) to their databases and let them drive the model. In other words try to make your SolidWorks models non-parametric (i.e. no equations)

3) We used both Xpress and the Full DriveWorks to automate Coil design.

You may want to evaluate both the full DriveWorks (with another reseller) and TactonWorks with your reseller. They usually give you free training and a temporary license. You could automate portions of your design and then make a decision.

Good luck, and lets know how it goes

Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back